notactuallysherlock asked: What are your thoughts on Laverne Cox not making the time 100, despite her getting like the fifth most votes in the polls?
Laverne Cox is the most visible trans person of color in the world and she has helped millions of people to learn about trans people and the discrimination they face. I think Laverne Cox is one of the most important and influential people in the world and should’ve been included in the TIME 100.
I’m glad John Green did address this, but I must say I’m disappointed that he didn’t address the underlying reasons(racism and transmisogyny) underlying her exclusion from the list, and the role his own position of privilege played in him being on the list.
Don’t get me wrong, John Green is a talented writer and has done and made some pretty amazing stuff (although he is of course far from perfect), but it is undeniable that part of the reason he receives so much attention and acclaim is that he is a cis white man. It’s worth noting that, by my count, of the people that are on the Time 100 list, 55% are white (while various estimates put the percentage of global population that is white at (well) under 20%), and only 40% are women.
John Green does have merit in his own right, but, like so many other successful white cis men out there, his achievements are unfairly valued over those of equally talented and accomplished women and/or trans people and/or people of colour.
While John Green has done some amazing stuff, it is an enormous shame that he got a spot on the list while Laverne Cox didn’t, and I wish he had acknowledged that.
Junius Stinney was the youngest person in America to be executed on death row in 1944 at age 14. He was quickly accused by the (white) police of ‘killing’ two little (white) girls with lack of evidence. His conviction and sentencing opened and closed in one day. There were no witnesses called and there was no transcript of the trial details and black people were not allowed inside the courtroom during that time.
[I always repost this because i don’t want anyone to forget about him!]
(Source: alacholeanna, via queerkenosis)
Very applicable to anxiety (and probably a lot of other mental health problems) too.
REALLY just wanna take this chance to remind the people who follow me to not kill/trap opossums if they’re in your yard, and do not call animal control! Seriously.
- Opossums are literally 100% BIOLOGICALLY INCAPABLE of carrying rabies. Their body temperature is too cool to incubate it properly.
- Opossums are actually quite gentle and NOCTURNAL, so if they’re roaming, they’ve probably gotten lost, been injured, and are looking for a place to hide.
- Young opossums tend to try to climb into garbage cans when they’re starving. This is because THEY ARE LITERALLY STARVING. Don’t fucking shoot them or hit them with things because you wanna be some fucking macho top-of-the-food-chain cocksucker.
- Mama possums are amazing mothers and if you encounter an “aggressive” opossum, it’s probably because she’s got babies hanging off her nipple and she’s freaking out. They’re clumsy. Sometimes they don’t hear you coming and you catch each other off guard.
- Wanna lure an opossum off of your property? You can set up a box with some greens and cat kibble in it, hide it well, and lure them out that way. They’re actually quite harmless and keep other predators away. they eat lotsa gross stuff.
- Opossum mamas who get hit by cars often still have their helpless babies attached to them. Possums get a bad rep and people say they are “the dumbest animal”, but they are incredible creatures who have been around since the days of fucking dinosaurs so treat them well, okay?
(Source: micromys, via davisga)
Being a trans girl is like…..being a tall girl, or a short girl, being a girl with freckles, or a girl with defined cheekbones.
Every girl is born a little different, every girl is unique. nothing about a girls body make her more or less of a girl. And nothing a girl does makes her less or more of a girl.
Being a transgender girl is just like being every other kind of girl - its an identity. :) (nothing more, nothing less) - by transgirlnextdoor